WorkingKnowledge

I intend to provide a public forum for instructional design ideas and theories, as well as a structured reflective space. Comments are encouraged.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Nuggets: Beyond Bullet Points

I just participated in an online seminar: "Beyond BulletPoints." I am awed, almost teary. This is the "right" way to create PowerPoints.

I've known for a long time that the Power Points I produce are wrong. I personally use a very lean style when I present, a few words, a few bullet points, and I try to hold thoughts together with graphics. I know it could be better, but I'm not sure how.

"Beyond BulletPoints" is the culmination of what I've been trying to achieve. It lays out the step-by-step process for developing electric, compelling presentations. In fact, I see it as offering a quick and dirty way to design and develop instructional content - it effortlessly fulfills the ARCS model.

In many of the projects I've worked on, Power Points are on-screen student guides. We actually create the student guide by copying the Power Points into a Word document with room for notes. This never felt right: it wasn't presenting the information in the most learner-friendly format. It was very passive for the learner. "Beyond BulletPoints" provides a methodology to eliminate that horrible practice, but also reducing the time it takes to update or correct our presentations.

This is a must-read. This will be state-of-the-art in a very few years.

You can view the seminar here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home